Friday, January 25, 2008

Farewell to our fertility

Peter had his vasectomy today. This is really the end of an era for us. I was anxiously awaiting this day with both excitement and sadness. The last 9 years have easily been the best of my life. I have loved being pregnant (well, except the throwing up!) and giving birth. I have loved holding and nursing my babies. Our 4 boys make us laugh and bring us joy on a daily basis. It saddens me to think I well never experience having a newborn again. On the flip side, it is exciting to think about leaving diaper bags and sleepless nights behind! To be able to go to a restaurant without having to check if they have chicken nuggets on the menu. Heck, to be able to even go to a restaurant without screaming and food throwing!

Peter, waiting for his big moment!
Here goes!!

The coolest part of the whole thing was that I got to watch it. I figured Pete watched 4 babies coming out of my private parts, I wanted to watch his get a little action! The doc used this needleless jet injector to numb him up. He made a tiny slit in the scotum, then pulled out the vas deferens (this is where the sperm comes through). It looked just like a piece of spaghetti. He snipped out a small section, then cauterized the end. He pushed it back in and closed the slit. Voila! I almost feel like I could do one now!
Thank you Peter for the most incredible family one could ever hope for! I am looking forward to seeing what the next era brings for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I will show this to DH so he knows men can smile while they are getting the big V! Way to go! :)