Thursday, September 4, 2008

Tomato cheese pie

Yesterday I called Suzie to ask for some new recipe ideas for dinner. Now that I am home, this is a great time to try some new stuff out. Although she has never tried it, she gave me this recipe for Tomato cheese pie. It was pretty tasty! The top picture looks an awful lot like my picture of the pizas a couple of weeks ago, so I took a picture of a single slice.

Here is the recipe:

1 (9-inch) pie shell, unbaked

3 medium tomatoes cut into wedges

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon ground oregano or Italian seasoning

1/4 cup chopped chives

1/2 cup mayonnaise

3/4 cup shredded mozzarella

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese



Bake pie crust in a preheated 425 degree oven for 5
minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature
to 400 degrees. Fill pie shell with tomato wedges.
Sprinkle salt, pepper, basil, oregano and chives over
tomatoes.

Combine mayonnaise, mozzarella and cheddar. Carefully
spread cheese mixture evenly over tomatoes, making
sure it extends to all edges. Bake in in the 400
degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until pie crust
is golden. Can be served as an appetizer, side dish
or main course, depending on the size of the slices.


Now here is how I changed it:

I added some mushrooms and onions on top of the tomatoes.
Instead of 1/2 cup mayonnaise, I used 1/4 cup mayo and
1/4 cup fat free sour cream. It had a bit of tang to
it, probably from the sour cream, but I liked it.

Thanks Suzie! What is for dinner tomorrow?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Looks super yummy! Love the idea of adding the mushrooms and onions. Did you even make your own pie crust?

Anonymous said...

Looks Yummy, can you make it again on my next visit? Love Mom