Monday, August 28, 2017

College Days!

 Zach has started his college adventures!

Last week Pete and I left with Zach for Boston, to move him in.  Of course our flight was during the eclipse, but we were able to see it briefly from the sky (after some pretty funny contorting to get ourselves int he right position to see it).




Some stuff we packed in a duffle and checked, but most of the stuff (like sheets, towels, mattress topper, toiletries) I ordered on Amazon and had shipped to my friend Michael who lives quite close to where Zach is going to school.  When I saw it all laid out I was a bit surprised at how much stuff there was, and was afraid we over packed.  I have been told by many though that this is actually quite light.  Phew!

Packing up from Michael's house





So exciting!
We arrived on Campus Wednesday morning.  The school had a pretty efficient system in place- we pulled up to the dorm, some kids were there with a big wheely bin and threw all Zach's stuff in it.  We then walked it to his room while Pete left and parked the car.

I just can not get over how gorgeous the campus is


 Thank goodness we packed "light".  Zach was put in a "forced triple", which means they shove 3 kids in a room meant for 2.  The above picture is it.  3 beds, 3 dressers, 3 desks,  2 closets and very little floor space.   (But hey, we get refunded part of our room and board costs, so whoop pee!)

 All moved in-- getting the sheets on the bed up there was ridiculous and took me 20 minutes and left me drenched in sweat.  I am guessing that is the last time they get changed.  Sigh.
 Throwing our colors out here, loud and proud.  Go Giants!

The name of his dorm



 Saying good bye was weird, and frankly a bit anti-climatic.  I think I had built it up in my head as this big horrible thing, but it really wasn't.  Seeing the campus and the dorms, and meeting several of the kids in the dorm put my mind at ease.  Zach was so comfortable and clearly in his element.  This is what we raise our kids to do- to grow and flourish and be independent adults.  I am thrilled that Zach has grown to do that, and so much more.  This is not a sad, devastating moment, but a proud and happy moment.  I got a tear in my eye, knowing how much I would miss him, but I was mostly just excited for him.

 Besides, we feel like he is still with us!  We have found a great use for the giant heads we had from graduation.  Haha!!

Family dinner

Zach sent us the above picture that he took walking across campus the first night. Stunning.

His first day of classes was today.  I did text him asking him to take a picture of his shoe like I always do for the first day, but he declined. Boo.  Lol.  He loved his first day of classes so you can't beat that.


Spread your wings Zach, you have made us proud.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I loved reading this, especially the quote at the end (so true)! I hope Zach has a great freshman year!

Suzanne said...

What a contrast to see Zachary in the header of the blog and him in Boston. Way to go! His future is so bright.