Friday, March 28, 2008

Ahoy Mateys!

Today is Joey's birthday party and I wanted to make him a special cake. Usually I just whip up a batch of cupcakes and throw sprinkles on them, but that is getting boring. Joey is really into pirates, so I googled pirate cake and found a cute one. It calls for fondant, which I have never used before. Suzie found me a website that showed me how to dye the fondant. Here is the process:

Here is the 1.5 lb lump of white fondant:
Adding the coloring a bit at a time and working it in. It was a bit like play dough.
The round cake before I putting a crumb coat on. Excuse the dark, over cooked cake.

With just the frosting Voila'! My finished project! The picture on line used fondant for the entire face, but I was afraid the kids would not like it, plus was a bit intimadated by having to use so much of the fondant, so his skin is frosting. The fondant was surprisingly fun and easy to work with!




5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Michelle, the cake looks AMAZING! Just like the picture. In fact, at first I thought it was the picture you had emailed me. I hope you are darn proud of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awesome cake! Great job. Does the fondant taste any good?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I forgot to ask my doctor about this, and my husband wants to scare me straight.

Why is it a problem to stay in the sauna longer than 30 minutes? He says one of these days I'm going to have a stroke and he's going to have to visit me in the nursing home with the kids.

I say he's just nervous. Anyway, sorry to clutter your comments with this question but you didn't leave an email address on your comment at my place.

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome cake! You were smart to use frosting instead of it all with the fondant icing. Yuck. :) Way to go!

Andrea said...

Michelle that cake rocks! Isn't fondant weird? I used it for the first time on Patrick's birthday. I made a Pokeball cake. I think it turns out so cool, though!