Friday, March 28, 2008

Ahoy Mateys!

Today is Joey's birthday party and I wanted to make him a special cake. Usually I just whip up a batch of cupcakes and throw sprinkles on them, but that is getting boring. Joey is really into pirates, so I googled pirate cake and found a cute one. It calls for fondant, which I have never used before. Suzie found me a website that showed me how to dye the fondant. Here is the process:

Here is the 1.5 lb lump of white fondant:
Adding the coloring a bit at a time and working it in. It was a bit like play dough.
The round cake before I putting a crumb coat on. Excuse the dark, over cooked cake.

With just the frosting Voila'! My finished project! The picture on line used fondant for the entire face, but I was afraid the kids would not like it, plus was a bit intimadated by having to use so much of the fondant, so his skin is frosting. The fondant was surprisingly fun and easy to work with!




5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Michelle, the cake looks AMAZING! Just like the picture. In fact, at first I thought it was the picture you had emailed me. I hope you are darn proud of yourself!

cardiogirl said...

Wow, what an awesome cake! Great job. Does the fondant taste any good?

cardiogirl said...

Hey, I forgot to ask my doctor about this, and my husband wants to scare me straight.

Why is it a problem to stay in the sauna longer than 30 minutes? He says one of these days I'm going to have a stroke and he's going to have to visit me in the nursing home with the kids.

I say he's just nervous. Anyway, sorry to clutter your comments with this question but you didn't leave an email address on your comment at my place.

Kathy A said...

That is an awesome cake! You were smart to use frosting instead of it all with the fondant icing. Yuck. :) Way to go!

Andi said...

Michelle that cake rocks! Isn't fondant weird? I used it for the first time on Patrick's birthday. I made a Pokeball cake. I think it turns out so cool, though!