Thursday, October 23, 2008

My little part to stopping the hate


This morning I ran into the parents of one of my patients. It was great to see them and we chatted for a bit. They are getting married tomorrow and I am thrilled for them. They are the parents of a darling 6 month old baby girl. They are wonderful fathers, both of them. Yes, they are a same sex couple doing a bang up job with this little girl. They are in a bit of a hurry to get married, for fear that constitutional right will be stripped away from them in a couple of weeks if Prop 8 passes. While I am thrilled they are getting married, I am so sad that they even need to worry about this. It boggles my mind that in a state like California, a state I always thought of as so progressive, this is even up for discussion. It is truly heart breaking to me. Mr. Lady over at Whiskey in My Sippy Cup wrote an incredible post the other day about this very topic. Please go read it. She says it so much more eloquently than I ever could. And please, vote no on Prop 8!

3 comments:

Ash said...

(Crazy Blogger won't let me comment!!)

Hopefully this will make it though!

Wonderful post - and I read Mr. Lady's as well - you guys are both great eggs.

Very sad to say, but I doubt same sex marriage would ever make it on the ballot here in Texas.

Em

Andrea said...

Here, here!

I also have several friends/aquaintences who are same-sex couples (many with children) and don't understand why same-sex marriage is still even an issue!

elswhere said...

Thanks for this post! It means a lot.