Thursday, January 15, 2009

How about some syrup with that pancake?

So in a just a few short months I will be hitting the big 4-0. For Peter's 40th birthday a few years ago the 2 of us went to Vegas and had an awesome time. Yesterday I had the pleasure (yeah right...) of my first mammogram to commemorate my 40th year. (Don't go feeling sorry for me just yet. We will do something fun around the actual date)

Everyone kept telling me about how it hurt. I have to admit, I didn't believe it. I figured I have given birth to 4 kids without pain medications, this would be nothing. Much to my surprise, IT HURT! Granted it was much quicker than pushing out the boys, but still. Thanks to those same boys, I don't even have boobs anymore so I am expecting the "NO boob" discount on my bill.

Just so you don't think I am a total kook, I did not bring my camera to my appointment with the intent of taking a picture. It just happened to be in my purse, I was waiting and thought, "What the hell!"

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's interesting, because I had my first one a couple years ago and I expected intense pain based on what I'd heard.

And after I thought, eh, I've felt worse.

Now it wasn't a cake walk, but I really expected more. However I am in the club with you and I basically had to straddle that thing with my arms to get, uh, data.

Suzanne said...

I'm bracing myself for my baseline this year since I keep hearing people say it's like lying on the garage floor and having someone roll repeatedly over my boob on the cement ground.

In comparison to the cortisone shots, what's the pain level?

I hope this is the most painful part of turning 40!

Anonymous said...

A "necessary evil", same as a trip to the gyno! But, if you are a believer of "The Secret", what do you think you will get if you go with the thought of pain in your head?

Michelle said...

All right, all right. It certainly wasn't excruciating pain. I think part of the surprise was that I went in thinking there would be no pain, so was surprised at how much they squeezed that thing down and how uncomfortable it was. Suzie-- the cortisone shots hurt more, so not too worry!

Andrea said...

I haven't checked on you in awhile...I didn't know you were nearing 40!!! You certainly don't look it. I don't look foward to my first mammogram either, lol...

I just looked at the pics of your new office and can't wait to see it all finished. I am proud of you--you DID it! Way to go!

Laura said...

I have yet to do this...and I really should...and I am SOOOOO going to bring my camera!