Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July, Shadowbrook style!

Fourth of July is quite the big deal here in Shadowbrook (our neighborhood)! Our morning starts out with the Fun Run, a friendly little 1.5 mile run through the neighborhood. The winner of each category gets a certificate. That is all I need to get my competitive juices going!! Pete and I have each won our category each year we have tried (ie, not pushing a double stroller or running it while 7 month pregnant). Pete was kind enough to push the stroller so I could kick some neighbor butt! I did just that in the female 30-39 yr category. I also made note of who won the 40-49 yr category to see who my competition would be next year. I think I am pretty safe unless we get some new neighbors! Zach was disappointed to not win his group, but announced he would practice and win next year. That's my boy!!

My adorable boys after the run:
After the run there is a pet parade, which we don't take part in. (We did consider dressing Christopher up for that, but decided against it) Following the pet parade is the kids' bike parade. Unfortunately this year the fire truck took a wrong turn and did not go past our street, so I don't have pictures of that.

Here is Zach returning on his bike
Joey just learned to ride with his training wheels off, so was afraid to take it on the parade. He opted for his scooter instead
We then hung out with neighbors at the community pool, followed by a BBQ and fireworks at the Tenczar house. Here is Zach on their swing:
Last but not least, the firework show:

Hope everyone had an awesome 4th!!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Yay for you! Walker made the same comment as Zach about wanting to practice to win his race next year.

I love the picture of the boys. Everyone has a smile!

Thank goodness you had a weekend to follow that incredibly fun day.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, part of me wishes we lived in the same neighborhood so you and I could go mano y mano on the run.

I am very competitive, probably as much as you are, and I would have done the same thing. Checked out the chick in the next category up (40-49) to see who I'd be winning against the following year.

Congratulations!

And don't your boys look so cute in that photo! Love it.

Steph said...

Sounds like you live in a great neighborhood! Our 4th consisted of listening to our neighbors across the field have a whopper of a party including karoke. -cringe- Top it off with a firework show right outside my 3yo's window. Yes, that would be the 3yo who is deathly afraid of loud noises.

Wish I lived in your neighborhood! :)